Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Connect to console" is not connecting to console
Hi all,

Recently upgraded to the very latest version of ASG Remote Desktop, and licensed for 7 admins.

Having issues with console sessions though - it appears that when you select the option to 'connect to console' on the connection settings, it does not, in fact, connect to the console session.

Didn't have this problem in older versions of vRD. This is causing an issue with us in that a policy on our servers logs remote sessions out after a certain time limit, unless it's a console/admin session.

To prove a point, I tried logging on to a console session on vRD and then opened up a Dameware remote session to the same box. The Dameware session can only connect to the console, so I should be seeing the same thing - alas I only see the CTRL+ALT+DEL log on screen.

Running vRD version 7.1.3807.0

MSTSC /admin works fine too. Seems a problem only affecting vRD.
I tried myself and it is working - which destination OS do you use?
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Mostly Windows Server 2008 R2, with a few 2003 R2 as well.

Having checked this, it's Windows Server 2008 R2 that it doesnt work on... Just tried the Dameware test on one of our 2003 boxes and the console session works fine Smile
Win2K8 changes the behavior of console sessions - session 0 is reserved and can not be used anymore for console / admin session - so perhaps that's why you can't connect to the right session
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(05-07-2012, 02:28 PM)DevOma Wrote: Win2K8 changes the behavior of console sessions - session 0 is reserved and can not be used anymore for console / admin session - so perhaps that's why you can't connect to the right session

So what you're saying is Microsoft essentially removed the console session from 2008R2?

In their own words "It is no longer required"

Damn well is!!!

Sad
Not really removed - but it is not anymore session 0 - you can connect by default 2 user sessions and 1 admin (console) session - so the number of possible sessions are equal to older versions
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
It is working like before - you still can connect console sessions
Regards/Gruss
Oliver